APRIL

                          Fool(ing) about.....

                                                                      with my new

                                     The Xcut Xpress.

                              A small, portable die-cutting machine, which, with a little jiggery-pokery becomes a Press.
                           I'd heard a lot about these handy machines, I never thought to get one though, as they seemed as rare as hens teeth
         Then in December, Christmas shopping, in a Huge store I saw IT...one lonely machine, in amongst twinkly Unicorns colouring books, glittery headbands, make-your -own kids stuff.
                Of course, I  nabbed it, struggled to the check-out, and I was off, smiling all over my face, I honestly couldn't believe my luck!
                                    A new adventure was about to begin.

                                                            All too soon The Festivites were over, so time to go home, and take my new Press with me! Portable she may be, but weighing in at more or less 6 kilos, this wasn't going to be easy...or was it?
                               I needed a plan to get her from the UK to the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. So, stowed or hand luggage? Not convinced the airline would let me take her on board, even though she's about the size of a handbag ( maybe a chic summer collection Louis Something or Another..) anyway.....
        I wrapped her ( my machine, defintely a 'she' ) in bubble wrap, snuggled her in amongst my clothes, and headed out for the airport, hoping for the best.  My turn, stepping up with my, now, very heavy suitcase,(don't forget, I'm heading home with pressies and goodies from the UK..I'm talking tea here folks) exchanged a big smile with the Check In crew, hefted my case onto the weigh-in..and, no problemo..
                            Suitcase checked in, I was off!
Short flight home, I unpacked her, stowed her in my workspace, intending to try her out immediately,
.. and  there it stayed.

                             Until now that is ! 

                                                       After many try-outs, experimenting with roller pressure, trying various papers, using different thickness blankets....and more than one or two failures,  I believe I'm finally getting the hang of it

               YouTube is really helpful when trying to get to terms with something new.. and there are Linoprint artists who generously share their expertise. 

Also, These guys on facebook are incredibly helpful and supportive. www.facebook.com/linocutfriends


                       

                                                               First Prints

                                    Finally , for Easter.                                

 First up, Classic Print Style.
 A hen shaped ceramic covered dish often used to store breakfast eggs.( what a wonderful piece of china, wouldn't you just love to come across a vintage piece at some flea market somewhere?) Since a favourite way to serve breakfast eggs is to coddle them, I thought it would be fun to call my print Molly! And here she is.
A straightforward print, but she
sits quite nicely on her basket, coddling.
I'm happy with it.



'Molly' first print using my little machine.

In this print I used several under-rolls before printing my Nesting Hens over
the mixed colours. I've applied using
various brayers, giving a 
    Nesting Hens Linoprint.



multicolour effect.
It's a technique I am particularly fond of. It can be a bit hit & miss if you're not careful, so I tend to plan out the colours on a scrap of paper first before  printing on the 'good ' paper.
Actually I like the unpredictablity of working like this..it feels kind of daring!
Of course there are catastrophies too, but when it goes right..ahh, there's no better feeling!
I suppose it makes my prints more of a 'monoprint feel' than an edition. Somehow this seems to appeal more to folk, seems a litle more personal.


So, this is my introduction to the XCut..I think I'm really going to enjoy using it, but my trusty wooden spoon won't be relegated to the kitchen just yet... 
I'm collecting  household things that I might be able to use in a 'hands-on' demo in June, and my spoon will definitely be one of them. (not sure I'll let anybody else use it though!)
Come on over to facebook and follow me here:
or pop over to instagram and find me here:

Happy Printing!


Comments

Popular Posts