September....swept in on the wind.

        Linoprints in Landlocked Luxembourg.

            With this month seeing so many coastal places being battered by alarming violent storms, at this moment in time I'm grateful to live in landlocked Luxembourg.
 Having said that I often go back to the UK, and always manage a visit to a beach..whatever the weather
 Not suffering a very violent 'meteo', Luxembourg is landlocked, snuggling up to Germany, Belgium and France. With summer fading fast, misty mornings, cooler nights and the evenings drawing in, there's definitely a sniff of Autumn in the air. (watch out for that 'sniff')

Retreating into my 'creative space', my thoughts are crammed with Autumnal inspiration. My work always relates to what I see around me. True, Luxembourg is a small country, but there's plenty to inspire!
This is what I plumped for..
 
      Starting with the drawing
Foxy drawing on 'old school' lino.



A Fox you say? Not a particularly seasonal image perhaps, nevertheless I'm always pleased to catch a glimpse, and couldn't resist! 
Maybe it's the lovely rusty red tones, but there's something seasonal about a fox sitting in the stubble of a freshly harvested field. This guy's got his nose to the wind. Living in a wine-making region, the smell of pressed grapes was obviously on my mind when I drew him:)
carving the lino plate

Carving a new plate is meditative and soothing, and I love this process.Often my design evolves as I progress. I have added a little background, to 'sniff'not sure if I will keep it. The first proof will decide.


Trying  layouts...not sure if the tree works, certainly not happy with the bird. He looks like he's dive-bombing the fox! I was running out of space, I thought I could place him behind the fox change the placement whilst printing, what a mistake, not to be repeated!
Not happy with this..it's exactly what happens when a print is not planned, something I am so very often guilty of. I just can't help it, I'm afraid. Note to self. Must try harder.

              Hours later, many try-outs and much frustration, 
                    here's the final result. A Monoprint, a technique I adore.
the final print.


 Finally, I decided to ditch the tree AND the bird!
I have underolled, and ghost-printed , I must say it turned out quite well!
More next time on this , in the meantime,

 Happy Printing!













Comments

Popular Posts